This is for all the pals who got IPC$ Password Prompt while connecting a windows 95/98/ME machine to another windows 2000/XP/2003 machine in LAN, i.e. networking between NT & non-NT machine.
I tried making LAN between Windows 98 n Windows XP. Connection was successful and I accessed 98-files from XP machine without any problem but when it came to doin other way, got this IPC$ password prompt.
Posting here is the SIMPLEST way to solve this
Just do this on XP-machine
- Go to the control panel > user account and enable (turn-on) the guest account.
- Then go again to control panel. Open Administrative Tools, then Local Security Settings.
- You can just click Start >> Run >> secpol.msc
In Left pane, go to security settings>> Local Polices >> User Rights Assignments.
You will get list of policies on right side. Just modify following two policies.
1. Access this computer from network
- This is first policy. Double-click on it to open its properties.
- You will get a list of user and groups and two buttons viz add user or group and remove.
- Click on add user or group button.
- A window with title Select user or group will appear.
- In lower-left corner of this window there is advance button. Click on it.
- Another window with same title Select user or group will appear.
- Click on find now button on right-side of this window. A list will appear.
- Just double-click on Guest.
(If Guest does not appear then check Find in Location of this window. It must be server or your computer name itself.)
In short you have to add Guest to the list of user n groups who can access XP-computer from network.
2. Deny access to this computer from networkThis is quite simple. Just open properties and check if Guest name is in the list. If this is present, select it and press remove.
In short you have to remove Guest from the list of user n groups who denied XP-computer from network.
Refresh your 98 machine and see if IPC$ password comes again. At the most you need to restart your both machine. But it will work for sure as I tested this on LAN of 25 PCs successfully 🙂
Post through comments if you still have problem or want me 2 add screenshot to this post!