Create Your Own Custom Linux OS Easily
Forget creating a Linux OS, getting it to work is a hard task in itself, if you are a newbie. Creating your own distro not only requires careful planning and execution, but also vast knowledge of programing in linux. But gone are those days. The creators of OpenSUSE have launched a site, SUSEstudio, where, with a few clicks of your mouse, you will have your own custom linux distro!
What will you get with SUSE Studio?
- You will be able to create appliances within the license agreement terms and to store them in your SUSE Studio Home.
- Your Home will have a certain amount of disk space depending on the number of SUSE Studio users.
- Inactive images will be deleted after a while, but this is no problem, it’s easy to restore them again with the appliance configuration file.
- The appliances are based on one of the following base systems
- JeOS, openSUSE 11.1, SUSE Linux Enterprise
- The templates offer different combinations of
- Server, Desktop, KDE, Gnome, Minimal X, 32 or 64 bit architecture
- The openSUSE build service repositories are shared with SUSE Studio and you can upload private rpms to your private repository
- You will be able to create
- Live CDs/DVDs, e.g. to demonstrate projects like Marble, Mono, etc. or Installation medias for special hardware, e.g. EeePC
- Disk Images like Live USB sticks, e.g. running openSUSE 11.1 with KDE or Gnome without touching the hard disk of the machine
- Server-appliances based on Xen Image or VMware Image, e.g. LAMP, Joomla, SUGARCRM, WordPress, etc.
The service is currently invite based. Just sign up from here, and wait for your invitation. My guess is that you may get it quickly, since I got it within 24 hours!
A note: The many options may be overwhelming at the beginning. Getting used to it may take some time.