(Image Source: Google Talk)
Google Talk, Lab Edition is an experimental release from Google that brings feature of Google Talk online gadget into Google Talk desktop client.
The overall list of features is quite surprising. A number of prominent features are missing at the cost of not so important feature!
Here is the list of features this Lab Edition comes with…
- Group chat, tabbed chatting (from online gadget)
- Receiving notification from Gmail, Orkut and Google Calendar (from desktop client)
- Option to set Gmail as default mail client,ability to launch Gmail, orkut, google calendar from system tray (Newly Added)
- Snooze option – disable notification for one hour. Better than disabling all notifications in present desktop client.
Here is the list of missing features…
- file transfer
- voice chat
- invisible status option as in Gmail Chat (read more…)
- option to hide offline friends from list
- option to change display picture
Forget invisible status option as we can use gAlwaysIdle for that, but ability to hide offline friends is must have, as with ~3000 contact in my Gmail list, finding online buddies is a though job!
What caught my eyes is simple settings pane. Of course it need to be made a little complex to incorporate missing features in next release…
Overall its little slow and missing feature list is a big disappointment!
Anyway if you want to give it a try its here.