Hiding a folder is a simple way of keeping prying eyes away from your private documents. From a human point of view it’s a good solution; what you can’t see, you don’t know you want. Encrypting a folder can have the opposite effect. The folder is visible and if access is attempted, the need to enter a password positively shouts the message that someone is trying to hide something. This probably explains why there are so many commercial utilities that claim they can securely hide folders.
Hiding a file is pretty simple in Linux ! Its just one step away 🙂
Steps to hide a folder :
- Select the folder you wish to hide and rename it by either clicking F2 in keyboard or by a right click -> Rename..
- Add a ‘. ‘ (dot) in front of the name of the folder and press Enter
- Press F5 and now you cannot view that folder!
You are done !
Steps to view Hidden Folder :
The following step is used to Show/View the Hidden files.
- Just Open the desired directory and press Ctrl+H or Click View->Show Hidden files to view all the hidden files 🙂
- You can test to see if hidden files are being displayed by navigating to other folders
- You can Rename the folder anytime by removing ‘.’ from the folder name to revert it back to a normal one !
Now you know how to see all hidden folders on your computer in just a click away.The same Steps can be applied for files too !
If you liked reading this post you might want to check out
Will post more articles for newbies to Linux.:-) What are you views on Linux? Do you use Linux? Drop in your comments.