As I promised yesterday, in today’s post I will explore few wordpress plugins which will make uploading/managing other plugins/themes easier. Using these plugins will make FTP clients useless as far as wordpress is concerned.
Again as with all popular demand, there are many plugins which can do this FTP thing for you but I like only two of them as listed below.
1. OneClick Installer Updater:
This plugin has simplest interface with minimum options. I guess best for new wordpress users. I like following features most…
- It allows you to upload plugins/themes directly in compressed zip format.
- It allow you to upgrade all plugins at once.
- Firefox integration allows you to directly add plugins/themes using context-menu command from any webpage.
- You can delete unwanted themes directly from Design page at dashboard.
2. WP Easy Uploade
This is designed exclusively for uploading on to wordpress. It provides more options but when I tried to use it, I noticed I always ended up selecting what OneClick installer does automatically, like option to uncompress and delete a zip file uploading. Things I like about this plugin…
- Allows you to upload anything to wordpress. Good if you often upload files like videos, etc via FTP to your wordpress upload folders.
- You can completely control location of uploads by specifying any path under wordpress root directory. Manual paths are automatically created if they don’t exist.
- This plugin is available in many languages. Currently, Turkish, Chinese, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Indonesian, and Spanish translations are available.
- Interface looks much cleaner and attractive despite more number of options.
This plugin adds an Upload Files option under Mange tab.
This plugin can be better if it can remember options last time selected or allow a user to set default options.
There may be more plugins like this but these two are really good. Also those who always sticks with new wordpress version may not need these as wordpress 2.7 may have thse features builtin.
I strongly recommend using one of the above plugins since you will be encountering many new plugins in coming days here.