They send you a email notification whenever the recipient reads your email. Notification includes many details including following…
- Date and time opened
- Location of recipient (per their ISP city /town)
- How long the email was read for
- How many times your email was opened
- If your email was forwarded, or opened on a different compute
Now how to use this service in simplest way…
- Create an account with them first.
- Then next time, whenever you send mail to email@example.com just add .mailtracking.com to the email address. So in this case email address will become firstname.lastname@example.org
- Now whenever email@example.com read your email, you will receive notification mail from mailtracking.com
How it works… (Technical Details)
- Basically the change in email address will route email through mailtracking.com’ server.
- They add a small (around 3×3 pixel) white image which is almost invisible to human eyes in email body. The image will be hosted on mailtracking servers and a unique image is kept for each email message.
- So when someone opens email that image also get downloaded. Now mailtracking server logs the browser request for image (note that the request goes in background) and thus can mail you details which mentioned above.
During testing I have noticed that top webmail services like Gmail, Yahoo etc doesn’t allow images to load by default for new email addresses. So if you are sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, chance is that recipient will read your email message but without allowing images to load. In that case you will not get any notification.
MailTracking.com is not free. You can start with free account as I did. You get 25 credits (1 credit = 1 email) in free account. But if you really wants a service like this then consider using paid version as it they offers more feature and also a downloadable plugin which integrates with your browser. Otherwise there are many services like this you can switch to when you runs out of free credits! 😉
Thats All! Thanks Ankit for tip.