Nexus 7: New Tablet by Google! [Rumour]
It is that time of the year again, when rumours of new tablets and gadgets are abound. Google I/O Developer Conference is only days away and everyone expects it to roll out a new Nexus Tablet. According to Gizmodo Australia, the name, specs and price range for Google’s tablet offering have been leaked.
The 7-inch tablet is expected to be called Nexus 7 and some of the rumoured specs are as follows.
- The tablet built by Asus will ship with a 1.3Ghz quad-core Tegra 3 processor, GeForce 12-core GPU
- It will have 1GB RAM
- The data storage limits are expected to be in two options 8GB and 16GB.
- The screen will support resolution of 1280 X 800 and have a 1.2 megapixel front facing camera.
- The battery should last about 9 hours.
- The price of the tablet is expected to be $199/- for 8GB and $249 for 16GB.
- The tablet will ship with Android Jellybeans as an OS.
Who is Google possibly targeting with Nexus 7?
Even though whenever someone comes up with a new tablet, the usual comparisons are with Apple iPad. Google is not exactly positioning Nexus-7 as a alternative to iPad but more so as an alternative to the cheaper, yet highly customized Kindle Fire by Amazon. Also looking at the price and specs, it seems Google is setting a standard for other tablet manufacturers making tablets.
With Microsoft announcing ‘Surface’ tablets, we can expect a lot of competition in this niche, which is always a good outcome for customers like you and me. Over the next few days, we will know if the Nexus 7 rumours are true or not.
Do drop in your comments.