Just today I came across an interesting app on Google Labs “Open Spot”, which makes it easier for people to share the exact place of Parking they are going to vacate. This way you can reduce pollution and help people in finding a parking. Obviously you need to promote the use of Open Spot among your friends and neighbours to make it a success story.
Few worth Mentioning Points
- The application is available only for mobiles with Android 2.0 or higher.
- It is indeed sad for me to tell that this application is presently available only in the US, Canada and the Netherlands. If you are an Indian resident, you will need to wait before Open Spot makes it mark in the country.
- Open Spot displays all vacant (marked by other Open Spot users) parking lots within a range of 1.5 kilometres (or 0.9 miles).
- Presently, the application has no way to judge whether a user has marked a fake place as empty. But I believe most people would not be playing with such an application!
- The map will show you Red-coloured Pins for any freshly marked spots, Orange-coloured pins for any spots marked over 5 minutes ago and Yellow-coloured pins for spots marked over 10 minutes ago. However for any spots marked over 20 minutes ago or more will not show up on your screen.
- Confused about those “Karma Points” mentioned on the image? Well those are awarded to you for using the application to mark vacant spots for others. Hence the name “Karma Points”!
- Though it is nowhere mentioned on the Official website, I believe the application uses GPS without which this seems impossible.
Since I do not live in the United States, I could not post the Live app screen. However I am including two screenshots provided by Google itself. Let me know if anyone of you try this application and finds some success. Even do tell your friends and relatives in the US about this application.
Link: Google Open Spot