We all know about data cards available from Tata DoCoMo, BSNL and Reliance, however what we don’t know is that Data cards are nothing more than Mobile phones without their screen, keypad and other features. 😀
Then why they are sold for such high costs, sometimes even more than the costs of good mobile phones available in the market?
Reliance and Tata have always been selling their Data cards for about Rs. 2500-3000 with BSNL presently selling their 3G Data card (upto 7.2 Mbps) for Rs. 2500 (that too after a discount!). Finally two Indian students from Bhubaneswar in Odisha (formerly Orissa) have announced their latest innovation, a 3G data card for just Rs. 1300. The data card is presently not available in the market, however it is trying to tie up with biggies like Future Group to make its presence in the huge Indian market.
Some Features of the Data card
- Supports almost all network bands like WCDMA/UMTS 2100MHZ/EDGE/GPRS/GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHZ.
- Download Speeds upto 7.2 Mbps (HSDPA) and upload speeds upto 384 Kbps (HSUPA).
- It comes with High speed 2.0 USB connectivity.
- Supports any GSM/3G-based SIM card.
- Send and receive SMS also
- Works with almost all Operating systems including Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7, Linux/Mac.
- The datacard even supports Flash memory upto 4GB.
- Few sources claim that the datacard can even support upto 21.1 Mbps download connectivity though it has not been tested yet.
The innovators even claim that they can bring down the cost of the Data card to only Rs. 900 if they receive any support from the Government to manufacture on a large-scale. They are even expecting this to generate large-scale direct/in-direct employment.
Let me know if you have already found any store where the iWebLeaf 3G data card is available. Guys, I am missing your comments. Do post them! It hardly takes a minute after all 🙂