This article is only for the WordPress beginners who have no idea about how to install WordPress Plugins. Experts out there can ignore this. In WordPress, Plugins are tools which provide additional functionality to the application. To install a plugin we just need to put the plugin file into your wp-content/plugins directory. Once a plugin is installed, you may activate it or deactivate it from the Plugins menu in the WP Admin panel.
Steps to Install Plugins:
- Download the zip file to your Computer.
- Unzip the file and upload the zip folder to your /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu in your Admin Dashboard.
Or Either use the automatic plugin installer. Click Add New button in the Plugin menu.
Search the WordPress Plugin.
You will get a list of many Plugins, select whichever you like according to rating or description then click Install Now button as shown in the image.
Now time to activate it and you are done with installing a plugin.
If you have any Questions do drop in your comments.
The latest maintenance release to BuddyPress version 1.2.7 is available now. Those who are familiar with WordPress but have no idea about BuddyPress, have a little introduction. BuddyPress was started in 2008 and social networking features are added to a WordPress MU powered site. The first stable release was in May 2009. The platform has grown considerably since then, into the dynamic, easily extensible package we see today.
Like WordPress, BuddyPress is a completely open source endeavour. Everything from the core code, to the documentation, themes and plugin extensions are all built by the BuddyPress community. This means anyone can help the project by contributing their time and knowledge.
Short list of change log :
- Fixed problem that prevented certain kinds of profile date from being saved.
- Fixed issue that prevented blog comment activity items from displaying on certain setups.
- Fixed problem that prevented group extension tabs from appearing.
- Removed secondary blog avatars from the activity stream.
- Fixed issue where activity dates were changed when blog posts were edited.
- Fixed bug in the way that friend counts are returned.
BuddyPress is a WordPress plugin that enable Social networking. You can build a social network for your company, a group your team or niche community all based on the power and flexibility of WordPress. It will let users register on your site and start creating profiles, posting messages, making connections, creating and interacting in groups and much more.
Subversion Access : If you are a developer and Subversion user then you can download the latest development build of BuddyPress using following link.
svn co http://svn.buddypress.org/trunk/
Or Manual Download : BuddyPress 1.2.7
Around 2 year back, I developed my first WordPress plugin, named Blogger to WordPress Redirection Plugin (see old post). It was developed to take care of 1-to-1 redirection between old Blogger.com posts and new WordPress blog. Over the time, we launched a professional service for Blogger to WordPress Migration and many users thought that they will never see any update for our free and open-source plugin again. Proving them wrong, we gladly announce release of a new version of our old-plugin with exciting new features.
- Zero changes requires on WordPress-side. Plugin handles everything automatically on WordPress.
- New configuration wizard help you setup redirection without much efforts.
- Supports importing from multiple Blogger.com blogs.
- Add supports for “rel=canonical” & “meta-refresh” tags on Blogger.com which will speed-up redirection. This will help search engine update their index faster.
The plugin comes bundled with experience of Nitun, our BloggerToWP service head, who has handled more than 100 migrations this year. If you really like user-interface of this plugin, the credit goes to Rakshit, new developer at rtCamper with good aesthetic taste! Link: Blogger to WordPress Redirection Plugin
When I write post and highlight HTML/CSS or PHP or any other languages, I have to replace tags ‘
<‘ with ‘
<‘ . It consumes a lot of time to convert. An easy way to implement source code or programming language is to implement a WordPress plugin. WordPress plugin Syntax Highlighter Compress has support for many languages listed below. Though there are many similar plugin available but the advantage of using this plugin is that it loads the necessary brush files dynamically. Unlike other plugin based on Syntax Highlighter Script but these cause long page loading time and they are difficult to handle.
When you choose a plugin first look at its rating, compatibility and last updated these are the parameters one must check before testing or implementing any plugin.
The highlighted code in your post will look like in the image below more highlight styles are available, you can change the highlight setting in setting menu.
Supported Mark-up or Available Programming languages
Syntax Highlighter ComPress is a simple WordPress plugin. Code and source text of various programming languages or mark-up can be highlighted in WordPress. This plugin last updated at 2010-9-29, requires WordPress version 2.6 or higher and it is compatible with version 3.0.3. Once you have installed this plugin, activate it then an icon appears in your post text area, look at the image below, click it select language and paste your code. You can go for a Demo Here.
- Plain Text
- Visual Basic
You can find more setting option in the admin panel settings menu. Settings option available for stylesheet, Auto-Links, Collapse, Gutter, Smart-Tabs, Tab-size and Toolbar.
Let me know if you have idea about better WordPress plugins.
Link : Syntax Highlighter ComPress
Have you ever noticed how the ads for iTunes or Windows Media Player look? The media library is splashed with a riot of colors which has great cover art for every album stored in there. My iTunes in contrast has nothing more than the miserable grey, blue and white.
Correction. My iTunes had nothing more than the miserable grey, blue and white. With almost just a single click, my latest find had my library set to rock n’ roll.
Tune Up Media is an iTunes and Windows Media Player plugin which instantly organizes you music library.
- Tune Up performs various functions like sorting missing information in each track – i.e. Artist Name, Album Name, etc.
- Cover art is another feature of Tune Up. It replaces missing album artwork in the music library.
- Updates about upcoming concerts of artists currently playing in the playlist.
- Works on both iTunes as well as Windows Media Player.
For starters, I think its worth downloading Lite version. With this free version, you get upto 100 song cleanups, 50 cover art saves and unlimited concert alerts.
You can get a good feel of this addictive tool. Ever since I have known, it has been on my to-do list, to clean up my music library. Most of my tracks were unnamed and artwork was well garnered with question marks! That’s passé now. What do you think about Tune Up? Let me know whether you liked this tool or not. Drop in your comments below.
Link: Tune Up Media
Many WordPress user may not be comfortable with the old admin User Interface. So lets talk about a WordPress plugin that gives a new look to your admin dashboard. Using this you can release a lot of space from the left of your admin panel. All admin links are available in a clean horizontal drop down menu, you can find it on the top of your WordPress admin panel.
In order to change the look and feel of your admin dashboard, WordPress has a Plugin called Ozh’ Admin Drop Down Menu. You can find more options in the settings>Admin Menu.
Ozh’ Admin Drop Down Menu Features:
- Various color schemes are available.
- Compatible with WordPress version 3.0 or higher.
- No need to click on “Manage” then “Pages” to edit pages.
- Plenty more space on your screen.
- You can also define color of your own choice.
Activate the plugin and it appears like in the below image.
Releases plenty of space from the left of your admin panel.
Read more about Ozh’ Admin Drop Down Menu on WordPress.org
I really find this plugin helpful, if you know any other similar plugin you can share it through your comments.
Link : Ozh’ Admin Drop Down Menu
Many times in your blog you write a multiple posts on similar topics. For instance you might write a lengthy tutorial on some topic and break it down into 5-6 posts. This is where having a series plugin on your WordPress blog is quite useful. I have used the Organize Series plugin and really felt it was a great way to create post series in WordPress. Here is a screen shot of how related series posts are shown.
Installing the Organize Series Plugin
- Before installing the Organize Series plugin make sure you have backed up your WordPress blog’s database. This is a basic precautionary step used before installing any new plugin on WordPress.
- Now download the plugin from WordPress plugin directory. Plugin is supported by WordPress 2.8 onwards.
- It will be .zip file. Unzip the file and a folder “Organize–Series” which should be extracted to ../wp-content/plugins/
- Go to the Plugins Menu on WordPress and activate the plugin for your blog. 🙂 (see image below)
How does Organize Series work?
Once the plugin is activated there will be a new option under the Settings menu. This new option will be Series Option. Click on Series Option which is under Settings and the page that loads up will show you various properties for us to tweak how the plugin will manage series of posts on the blog.
Settings for Organize Series Plugin.
- Automation Settings: First part of settings is Automation settings. We can select Display list of post page, series navigation links, displaying meta information with posts and toggling between using custom CSS. That apart Automation Settings also allows specification of permalinks for the table of contents URL.
- Template Tag Options:This section allows us to customize the format of various displays of the series information. If you are editing this part of the settings you need some knowledge of HTML/CSS.
- Series Icon Options: This section creates allows tweaking the width of the series icon on table of contents page and post page respectively.
Organizing Posts in Series.
- Now that the settings are done we can start specifying certain posts to be included in particular posts. Just open a post in the edit mode and we can see a new option.
- Here the post has new option below the editing area which is titled Series which allows creating a new series or even specifying which existing series the post can be organized under.
- Added option is to keep add a number the post which specifies its positing in the entire series content table. 😉
Displaying Series on WordPress Blog
- Now that we have arranged some posts in a series we can display them on the blog theme with the help of widgets. This widget can be found under Appearance.
- The widget named Series widget can be dragged and dropped into the sidebar.
- There are many options which include showing the posts according to links or even in a drop down menu.
This plugin allows creating a series of a new post which is being published or even older group of posts which have already been published. A post in a series really becomes a great reference point and this plugin also creates a permalink which displays all the posts in a series. So all we have to do to share a series is simply share the permalink of the series!
Download Link: Organize Series plugin
There is an issue with Redirection plugin for wordpress. Redirection plugin is used to create redirect rules without any technical knowledge.
About the issue…
Whenever you create a latest page inside wordpress, all visitors to your homepage get redirected to the newly created page. This used to happen before also, but seems like the issue has become severe after wordpress 3.0 release.
There may be some bug in the plugin, which results in a rule being added to its (plugin) database as you can see in screenshot below. You can see following screen by going to “WordPress Dashboard >> Tools >> Redirection” menu and then clicking on “Modified posts” group.
As you might have noticed, there is rule with URL ‘/’ (slash) being added under “Modified posts” module in Redirection Plugin. This rule is responsible for homepage redirection.
- Just select all rules made for ‘/’ (slash) as highlighted in below screenshot. Yes, there can be more than 1 rule for ‘/’ (slash) i.e. homepage redirection.
- Click on “Delete” option. You will be asked for confirmation. Just click“Yes” and you are done!
Now, this will solve problem only temporarily. Next time you create a new page, chances are this issue will surface again. So if you edit/create pages quite frequently, you may like to go for permanent solution listed below.
- On Redirection Plugins’ Settings page, click on “Modules” links.
- You will see 3 modules as shown in above screenshot. Click on “WordPress” module.
- On next screen you will see 2 groups – “Redirection” and “Modified Posts”. Click on “edit group” link, next to the “Modified Posts” group. (see screenshot)
- When you will click on “edit group” link, you will see few more options. Uncheck option saying, “Disabling a group will disable all items contained within it” (see screenshot)
- Just click Save button and you will no longer face this issue again.
This solution actually disables a feature of Redirection Plugin, which is being used by many of us unknowingly.
Every-time we manually edit slug of a published wordpress post or page, Redirection plugin create necessary rules inside “Modified Posts” group.
This issue is already open as a bug in Redirection plugin’s bug-tracker. Hopefully, this will be solved in near future.
By the way, those weird redirections rules don’t get added all the time. But if they do, you can use solutions mentioned above. 🙂
Very often, we search for the lyrics of our favourite songs on web. To address the purpose there are many websites available, the list of which can simply be obtained via search engines. What if such a thing happens that every time you listen to your favourite songs, the lyrics are displayed besides the song automatically?
Lyrics Plugin is one such plugin that provides you with the lyrics of your favourite songs, in Windows Media Player and Winamp, eliminating the need to search for the lyrics. You simply need to download the plugin and install it. After the installation, start listening to any song, and it will show the lyrics of the songs automatically.
Here is a screenshot for you, to make it clear –
The best thing about the plugin is that, you are allowed to edit the lyrics. You might not see the lyrics of some songs, where the above option to edit the lyrics comes to use, as you can add it yourself. The plugin also allows you to configure the font size & type, background color and text color. And you can even search google from within the pop-up window to find suitable lyrics for the song.
As clearly visible, the plugin will not work when Windows Media Player is in Mini Mode, and instead will work in Full mode on both the Media players.
Download Lyrics Plugin.
There are chances that you log-in to your adsense dashboard each morning to check your revenue reports, etc. So, here in this post I am going to mention various ways using which you can check your Adsense revenue reports without logging into the adsense dashboard periodically.
Firefox Add-on for Checking Adsense Revenue
You can either install a Firefox add-on –Why do work adsense Monitor that will continuously keep updating (refer the image) you about your adsense earnings on the Firefox status bar or you can even get adsense reports directly from Adsense team periodically which we will be discussing later on this post.
If you want to continuously keep tracking your adsense revenue and other reports such as CTR and eCPM then this Firefox add-on is the best way, as it will keeps syncing the data in your Adsense dashboard. Once you download the plugin you will have to provide your adsense login credentials for this plugin to work.
Email reports for Adsense Earnings
Recently I came to know that, you can even subscribe for daily reports from Adsense team containing the reports for the previous day. Pavan has explained in detail on how to get adsense earning report on your mail box daily or over a given time period. You can head over to this page to know step by step procedure for subscribing to adsense email reports.
Links: Adsense revenue monitoring Firefox plugin | Step by step instructions to start getting adsense email reports