Facebook notifications are actually meant for getting notified when somebody interacts with you. We get a notification when somebody likes, comments or tags you in a post or even when someone comments on a post after your comment. But most of the times we get useless updates mostly from the applications or groups even if we stopped using them. Lets tell you how you can get only relevant and useful updates in your notifications.
How to Reduce Facebook Notification Volume!
- First of all open your notifications by clicking on the earth icon given in the top header of Facebook with inbox icon. Now rollover your mouse on the notification that you don’t wanna see in future and click cross to turn off that notification in future. See the screenshot below:
Then confirm it by clicking “Turn off”.
After doing this you won’t see any further updates from that Application or post. This is the simplest way to unsubscribe from a post.
- Secondly go to the page http://www.facebook.com/editaccount.php?notifications, on this page we have an option of turning off notifications from a particular group or app. For groups, go to “Group posts” on the same page and select off for some or all of your groups as shown below:
For an app, select “Notifications from apps” on that page and uncheck the box given with every app to unsubscribe:
That’s it, now you will get only selected updates. Please note that apart from apps and groups, you can also turn off notification from a post in the same way as given in Step 1. Please drop a comment below for any help.
There is a huge list of features that are still missing on Facebook, and one of them is the power of deleting multiple messages at once. Some people don’t like keeping messages in their inbox but they have to as it’s a very difficult task to delete conversation one by one. Moreover there’s not just a single click procedure to delete a conversation, you have to follow a small procedure which is quite annoying when you have so many friends and conversations on Facebook. Let’s tell you a simple and a much faster way to delete multiple messages from your inbox.
To delete all messages from your inbox, you just have to install a simple extension to your Google Chrome. This extension is Facebook Fast Delete Messages. To add this extension to your Google Chrome Browser please click the extension’s permalink below and click “Add to Chrome”:
Now restart your browser and open Facebook inbox. You will see a red cross with each conversation. Click it to directly delete the message with a single click. You will also see a “Delete All” Button on the top of messages; click that button to delete all messages on that page with a single click. Check the screenshot below.
Are you still using Firefox?
Well don’t worry if you are not using Google chrome, we have a similar script for Firefox as well i.e. Message quick-delete buttons. Click the script and install it to Firefox-Greasemonkey.
Points to be noted!
Please note that
- Don’t forget to cross check whether your messages have deleted or not, sometimes when you delete messages with this Chrome extension and you refreshe the page, Facebook starts showing the deleted messages again. Always refresh the page after deleting and make sure that deleted messages are not there.
- I have personally tested and using Google Chrome Extension but never used the Firefox script. Hopefully that will work.
- We are always here for you, in case you are facing some difficulty please drop a comment below.
Stay connected for more Facebook tutorials.
If you are using a Ubuntu VPS or dedicated server, then you may have noticed emails coming from server doesn’t match your local timezone.
Below are 2 methods to quickly fix this issue…
Method#1 – Interactive Mode
Just run following command…
and it will show a list of timezone from where you can select your timezone
Method#2 – Non-Interactive mode
In this method you need to provide value of timezone manually.You can find timezone values here.
sudo echo "Asia/Calcutta" > /etc/timezone
sudo dpkg-reconfigure --frontend noninteractive tzdata
After running above command I got following output:
Current default time zone: 'Asia/Kolkata'
Local time is now: Thu Jul 12 18:56:32 IST 2012.
Universal Time is now: Thu Jul 12 13:26:32 UTC 2012.
Why 2 methods?
Non-interactive way comes handy if you want to change timezone programatically.
If you use MaxCDN to speed-up your WordPress blog/site, then you may face one issue during server migration. The issue is – IP-address of new server will not get updated in MaxCDN automatically. You need to do this manually like below:
Steps to Update IP Address on MaxCDN:
- Login to MaxCDN account. Go to “Manage Zones”.
- Go to “Pull Zone” which you like to update.
- Then go to “Settings” tab.
- You will see a section titled “Origin Information”. That will contain IP address of your old server. Click the “Edit” button in that section. (see screenshot)
- Then enter new IP-address in “Origin IP” field and click the “Update” button. (see screenshot)
Why don’t MaxCDN update IP address manually?
Its common to perform some testing on a test server, and then use another server, a different one, for production site. So IP-address change is not something very uncommon.
MaxCDN uses IP address to serve content faster. But rather than automatically updating their cache, say daily, they keep it forever! While I like the manual option to “Update” IP address is settings area, which gives advance users some control, it would be better if MaxCDN combine this manual option with automated cache-update.
Smart Auto-Update: A smart solution would be to update IP-Address when “Origin Server” starts returning HTTP 404-error. When there will be too many 404-errors, it may mean the server has been moved. Of course, CDN misconfiguration or origin server-downtime can also result in 404-error but “Smart” programs supposed too handle such cases as well!
Recommended Reading: How to Setup MaxCDN on WordPress using W3 Total Cache Plugin
Matt Mullenweg announced few days ago that, plugin authors will be able to put custom headers on their plugin pages. Soon the geeks across the globe got started with designing and customizing their header images.
Developers are happy as they have got an opportunity for a little branding. Our creative heads from rtCamp too got down to design the banners. You can see them here (For Bloggertowp redirection plugin and rtSocial Plugin)
How to change the header image:
You can also customize your plugin custom headers, as it’s a pretty simple process. All you need is to follow the steps below:
(this tutorial was written while developing the header image for our BloggertoWordPress Redirection Plugin)
Step 1: Design a 772×250 pixel jpeg or png image. (No animated GIFs)
Step 2: Adding it to plugin’s SVN Directory:
- Create a directory in your system: mkdir b2w-plugin
- Checkout the code from WordPress plugin Directory:
svn co http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/blogger-to-wordpress-redirection/ b2w-plugin
- Bloggerto WordPress redirection
- Move it inside the directory: cd b2w-plugin
- Create one more folder into it. : svn mkdir assets
- Move inside that folder. : cd assets
- Store the Image which you want to display for your plugin inside assets folder.
- Use this command: svn add *
- Now Commit the code from your system to WordPress plugin directory : svn ci -m “Added Banner”.
- It will ask you for the svn username and password. Give it the proper authentication and you are done with the new banner updates for your plugin.
So, lets start getting creative and write your plugin links in the comment area for other readers to see.
Last time we told you how you can add a new tab to your Facebook page. This post will tell you how you can change your default landing tab. Defualt landing tab means the tab which opens when someone visits your page. Mostly people choose a welcome page to welcome its visitors as a default tab. Now if you have already created a new welcome tab it’s important to change it to default tab as it’s of no use to welcome a person after he likes the page.
- Open the Facebook page you admin and you want to change the landing tab.
- Click on ‘Edit Page’ on the top right of the page.
- Go to ‘Manage Permissions’ from your sidebar and select your new tab in ‘Default Landing Tab:’ from the drop down list.
- After selecting the tab click ‘Save Changes’. You can also select Info, Photos, Discussions or any other tab as your default landing tab.
Using welcome tab as default:
If you are using a welcome page as default tab then it’s important to customize your welcome page first in prder to make it attractive. You can add a text note to of you can add an image to welcome your visitors. To add a welcome image read this post and add the following code in the box provided.
Replace # with your welcome image URL including the http:// part. You can also upload that image to Facebook and give the link here. Stay connected for more tech and Facebook updates.
Again we have something for Facebook page administrators. Last time we told you that ‘Why There Should be Only One Admin for Your Facebook Page’. This time we will tell you how you can add your page to your Facebook profile sidebar. This will show your page just below your ‘Featured Friends’ list with a new list ‘Pages’. Let’s have a look at this very simple procedure.
Well if you want to show your pages on your profile you don’t need to change even a single thing on your profile. All you have to do is to open the page that you admin and want to show on your profile and go to its settings i.e click on ‘Edit Page’.
After that click on ‘Featured’ link given on the sidebar. Featured here means the highlighted pages or page owners. Click ‘Add Featured Page Owners’ after that.
It will open a small window showing all the people who admin that page. Select yourself or anyone so that the page can be added on your or other admin’s profile.
Click ‘Save’ and you’re all done. That page will now be added to your profile. Open your profile to see your page there.
Please note that your profile link will also be added to your page as ‘Page Owner’. You cannot remove any one of them, which means if your page is on your profile, your profile will also appear on that page.
Facebook groups are a good way to interact with a number of people at the same time. You can share a post, photos, videos, events, documents simultaneously or you can even ask a questions. But a negative point of these groups is that admins or your friends can add you in a group without your permission which leads to flooding of useless updates in your notifications page. One option of stopping these notifications is to unjoin that group, but there’s an alternate solution too where you can stop these notifications while staying in that group.
How to stop group notifications:
- This will open the custom notifications, see the screenshot below.
Make the following changes:
- Select ‘Only posts I am subscribed to’ to completely stop notifications from that group, you will not receive any notification even if the admin posts. If you want updates from a post click ‘Subscribe’ link given with that post.
- Uncheck this box if you don’t want notifications as an E-Mail too.
- This box enables group chatting, if you feel that pop-up appeared by group chats are annoying too, then uncheck this box as well.
Now you’re all done, just click ‘Save Changes’ and that group will never disturb you again with annoying and useless notifications. Stay connected to Devils Workshop for more tips and tricks.
This post tells you the easiest way to backup or export your Facebook contacts and their E-Mail using Yahoo. Exporting Facebook contacts is very useful specially in two cases. First one is when you want to make a new account on Facebook and wants your older friends back, in such case you can import all the contacts to your new account and send requests to all of them simultaneously. Second case is when you loose a contact and you want to check who unfriend you on Facebook. We will discuss it later in the next post.
How to Backup/Export your Facebook contacts?
Please note that you need a Yahoo ID as well for this method, if you don’t have one first make it using www.yahoo.com.
1. Open the page:
2. Now on this page click on “import contacts”.
3. Now you will see four options i.e Facebook, Gmail, Windows Live Hotmail and others. Click “Facebook” from these.
4. After this a pop-up will appear which says “Do you want to share your contacts with Yahoo!”. Click Okay to agree and start exporting.
Your new contacts will now appear in your Yahoo account. Yahoo is a well known E-Mail service and accepted my most of the websites for importing contacts. You can now use you Yahoo contacts in place of Facebook contacts(as both are same now) on any website to find out whether your friends are there or not.
If you are running your own business and use Twitter and Facebook for it’s promotion then this post is very useful for you. By linking your Facebook page with your personal or your business account you don’t need to update two of them individually. Let’s tell you how you can do it.
1. Open your browser and login to Facebook.
2. Now click this link: http://www.facebook.com/twitter.
3. Now it will show all the Facebook that you admin. Find out that particular page that you want to link by clicking “Link to Twitter” given with the page’s name.
4. Now click on “Authorize app”, that will redirect back to you to the same page again that we opened in Step 2.
5. Check every box if you want to share everything on Twitter. Uncheck some if you want to like there’s no use of sharing notes on twitter so uncheck it.
6. Finally click “Save Changes”. Your two accounts are now linked. Now anything you share on Facebook will also be shared on your twitter account automatically.
That’s it, drop a comment if you’re stuck somewhere.