Sometimes upgrading to a newer version can be a good thing. Other times, your computer may not be compatible with the new version, the new version is bloated, or all the options you liked are no longer available.
There could be many reasons where you like old version of a software and want to use it only! If you maintain your favorite softwares in their favorite versions thats fine but often you will find yourself browsing website of a software company for old versions of a particular software. Unfortunately not all software provider are interested in keeping old version available for downloads.
Here comes to rescue following 3 sites whose only purpose is to maintain old versions for free download. These three are almost identical in operation (in fact I had hard time to figure out differences to write about)
1. OldApps.com (Exclusively for Mac OS)
- Specifically mentions that software available for downloads are free from malware, trojan, and/or virus
- Dedicated section for Old Versions of Macintosh softwares.
- Nice Help section. Short and sweet!
- Softwares are not sorted but seems to maintain largest collection. Also noticed few Linux softwares.
- It maintains a drop-down menu in right sidebar through which you can really reach your favorite softwares version page with just one-click (and without typing too!)!
All 3 have a contribute section so that you can upload old versions of softwares you posses to their repository. Also OldApps and OldVersion have forums where you can discuss various issues related to software versions, etc!
Finally on personal note, few software I havent upgraded over a year includes…
- Winamp v2.73 – I love mplayer for movies. So why to go for winamp with video capability! 😉
- ACDSee v3.0 – Image browsing application. Reason: New Versions are bulky and memory consuming.
Please notify us if you find any other site which you think can be added to this list! 🙂
Not bad. Good enough, but we need sites we can download some old versions of Professional softwares like adobe after effects, AVID Elastic reality, pinnacle studio and the like.
I guess these sites may face legal trouble if they host old professional softwares.