Shortcuts are meant to make specific tasks easier for the user. Adding different program shortcuts on your desktop is a really simple thing but we can even create shortcuts to perform many other tasks as well such as creating shut down or restart you computer with a shortcut.
Many of you may have an idea on how to create a desktop shortcut to shut down you computer but for those who don’t, just follow the guide:
- Right click on your desktop and navigate to New > Shortcut.
- Create shortcut wizard will start once you click on new shortcut. In the location bar, type “shutdown -s -t 01” and click Next.
- You are almost done here, just type the name of the shortcut and click Finish.
A new shortcut will now appear on the desktop.
- Now if you want to change the icon of the shortcut, right click on the shortcut and select Properties. Click on Change Icon button.
- It will open a list of icon, simply select the icon and click OK.
- It will change your desktop shortcut icon. Now all you have to do is double click on the shortcut and it will automatically shut down your computer.
Below is the list of other commands you can use to perform other functions like Restart, Sleep, lock your computer, hibernate etc.
Shutdown.exe -r -t 00
rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0