It was just a few days back when Google officially started rolling out the new Gmail inbox with Smart Labels. The Smart Labels project has been on Google’s desk for ages and finally here it is! Smart Labels is a new technology be Google that will help you to automatically categorize your incoming mails. You can learn more about it here.
As per the official news, this new Gmail inbox will come to you in the near future. But there is a possibility that you are already welcome to this new Gmail inbox. It is a simple process that you can finish within minutes.
Enabling the new Gmail inbox
- Log into your Gmail account.
- Click on the gear icon at the top right of the screen.
- If you are lucky, you’ll notice the Configure Inbox button in that menu. If you don’t find that, you’ll have to wait till Google brings this feature to you.
- On clicking the Configure Inbox button, you’ll be shown a box that introduces you to Smart Labels.
- The box shows the four labels that you can enable if you wish. Hovering over each label will mention some of examples of the mails that will reach this label automatically. You can see that in the image below.
- The Primary label is enabled by default and you can’t disable it.
- Once you enable the labels that you want, click the Save button to finish. Include starred in Primary means that all the starred mails will be kept in the Primary label irrespective of their main label.
Google has brought these Smart Labels only to the Web version of Gmail for now. Gmail for Android and iOS will be getting those very soon and they’ll looking like so on your devices. Do share your thoughts on this new Gmail inbox.