Much awaited Mobile Number portability or MNP (in short) is just about to launch next year in the first month for Category ‘A’ service areas. The rest of the country shall have to wait till March, 2011 to use the facility.
All Logos are respective trademarks for their companies
Generally, a huge number of customers are expecting to change their service providers as soon as MNP is launched in the various telecom circles, however most of them are still un-aware on the ‘What’ and ‘How’ of the process. Lets see what our inside story has to tell you on this:
- Cost – If you are looking forward to change your operator, you just need to pay only up to Rs. 19 as Porting charges (as per TRAI), however the exact fee shall be decided by the operators themselves. The porting charge is non-refundable even if you want to cancel your request for MNP, which is possible within 24 hours of the request.
- No Dues – There should be no bills pending with your existing operator if you want to migrate.
- Time – It shall take a maximum of 4 days for all telecom circles except the states of J&K, Assam and North East where it will take a maximum of 12 days. The number, during this process, shall be disconnected for a maximum time of 2 hours.
- Minimum usage – A porting request can be made only after 90 days from the date of activation of a connection, or after 90 days from the date of previous porting, in case of a ported number.
- Instant Reply – A UPC (Unique Porting Code) shall be sent to the mobile phone after a SMS is sent to 1900 (regular SMS tariff applies).
MNP has been successfully implemented in Haryana and Karnataka Telecom circles, however the rest of India awaits the new bride with joy.
Just a question..
What happens to old plans if they are working?
What about lifetime validity, Is it carried to the new operator?
The process is quite clear. You chose a different operator and opt for the new operator’s plan. Any of your existing balance or plan lapses immediately. Validity or balance provided by the new operator shall only be effective.
Dear si when launch the mnp service in the karnataka state plz reply to mail a date of launh of mnp in karnataka
MNP has been launched officially in the Haryana circle at present. The further expansion has been planned by January, 2011. However the complete expansion of the facilities is to be done by March, 2011.
You may find lots of updates on MNP in Karnataka, however no dates are confirmed officially.
Thank you sir for your reply
i want to change my vodafone to airtel.
thanks a lot
waiting for this service. its a very useful service.
very good post for this service of telecoms knowledge.
when launch mnp in karnataka satate
I have already replied to you above about the Launch possibilities in Karnataka!
Can GSM shifted to CDMA and can CDMA sim put into to GSM handset
Well number portability will work for CDMA -> GSM as well as GSM -> CDMA, however in case you are switching between them, you need to have a GSM and/or CDMA enabled handsets respectively.