Hunger and starvation which leads to death exists around the world. It’s very important to spread awareness and help the poor in any and every way possible.
Here are some facts by WFP: –
- 1.02 billion people do not have enough to eat – more than the populations of USA, Canada and the European Union.
- 25,000 people (adults and children) die every day from hunger and related causes.
- 65 percent of the world’s hungry live in only seven countries: India, China, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Pakistan and Ethiopia.
- Every six seconds a child dies because of hunger and related causes.
Can we feed the hungry via Internet?
Yes, we can help the cause without any cost. There are a bunch of websites that can make this happen. The concept behind this is simple- when we click a button on these sites, their sponsors provide funds or food to the poor hungry people.
Here goes the list :-
1. Bhookh(meaning hungry) is the India’s first online activism site which creates awareness about hunger and provides food to the poor hungry people which is paid by their sponsors.
2. Search To Aid is a search engine powered by Google where you can help to generate donations for the hungry around the world. It also has a separate page with a button “click to feed”. The food is paid by Google and other sponsors in their site which is sent to UN World Food Program.
3. FreeRice is an interesting way to help the poor hungry people. We have to play a vocabulary game in the site. For every correct answer 10 grains of rice is provided to UN World Food Program. This also helps us to improve our vocabulary.
4. Hunger Fighters is an online portal that makes it easy for people to fight hunger in less than 30 seconds a day. With a quick click on hunger-fighting buttons in the site we are able to donate food to the world’s hunger. The food is paid by their sponsors.
5. Freeflour is a similar like “freerice” site. We have to answer the general knowledge questions, each time we answer a question correctly they donate an amount of money equivalent to one spoon of flour to multiple charities.
6. HungryChildren is a site where they provide food, medication and vital necessities for the sponsored children. When we click a button on the site, their sponsors give funds for the children.
7. TheHungerSite provides food which is paid by their sponsors when we click a button “click here to give”. They distribute food to those in need by Mercy Corps and Feeding America (formerly America’s Second Harvest).
8. GivingButton a social fund raising experiment powered by Facebook. When you click a red button on the site and login to your facebook account, they will donate 30 grains of rice to the UN World Food Program.
Bookmark these sites and visit them daily or whenever as possible. A hungry stomach to be fed is just a click away.
(Image credit: flickr )
[Editor’s Note: This post is submitted by our guest blogger Joy. Joy is a software engineer and the author of ForDevs, a technology blog that focuses on latest trends, online tips and tools, web designing, programming and more.