This is for all you videogame lovers… or should I say health freaks? Today’s videogames don’t allow you to be couch potatoes anymore, as the industry sprints toward fitness titles and motion-sensing controllers.
With exercise, sports, and dance videogames on the rise, people unknowingly move out of their “lazy” zones by moving their bodies instead of just their thumbs, as a result, burning a lot of calories!
Some videogame software lets you even act out and play soccer, tennis, basketball, canoeing, and other sports.
Wii consoles with motion-sensing controllers in the market
- With the release of Wii consoles with motion-sensing controllers in 2006, Nintendo totally revolutionized the way videogames are played today. Last year, Nintendo introduced an exercise videogame called “Wii Fit”. It had a controller shaped like a bathroom scale to sense the weight, balance and shift of pressure made by players.
- Apparently, Microsoft and Sony too are working on motion-sensing controllers for their videogame consoles.
- Ubisoft’s “Red Steel” franchise has launched videogames that use the consoles’ wand-shaped motion-sensing remote controls for swordplay.
- Konami went from arcades to videogame consoles with a “Dance Dance Revolution” (DDR) that got people on their toes and dancing till they dropped.
- A Project Natal prototype for Xbox 360 combines cameras, face and voice recognition software making people play with natural body movements. Xbox 360 controller is fashioned like a skateboard without wheels allowing virtual participation in the sport.
So all you lazy bones out there… here’s your chance get out of that couch. Find yourself a cool videogame that will get you moving and get rid of that extra flab the fun way!