Certainly I don’t doubt this, do you? With chapters in 270 languages and 30 countries, undoubtedly Wikimedia is not just guessing around with its plans to increase the Wikipedia article base to 50 million. Wikimedia has in fact prepared a Strategic Plan for the year 2015 which talks about its vision in detail.
Key points of the Strategic Plan
- increasing the number of articles hosted on Wikipedia to 50 million
- increasing the global visitor count to 1 billion+
- increasing the volume of high quality articles available to users to at least 25%
- increasing the volume of contributors/editors to 200,000
- promoting equality by increasing the number of female editors to 25% and taking the percentage to 37% for Global South editors
Seems tough huh, though Wikipedia has always managed to grow and run successfully even when today it is completely ad-free. Apart from the above key points, Wikimedia has pledged to make technology implementation much more powerful.
Let us all hope Wikimedia finds success in it’s mission of providing the World a free information network as it’s been committed to.
Do leave your thoughts about Wikipedia and how it helps you in your real life.