The government of China has accused Google of spreading pornography and vulgar content in the country, as a result, violating the nation’s law. People in China were temporarily unable to access the search engine, but it is still unknown whether Chinese government actions were responsible for these disruptions.
Foreign ministry spokesman, Qin Gang says:
“We have found that the English version of google.com has spread lots of pornographic, lewd and vulgar content, which is in serious violation of Chinese laws and regulations.”
Google asked to take action
Google has been asked to remove the content immediately and abide by all Chinese laws. Google have said that they would do more to stop users in China from accessing pornography.
China’s Web monitoring and Filtering System
- China has the world’s most extensive Web monitoring and filtering system.
- It is common to see access blocked to foreign sites in China.
- Authorities closed more than 1,900 porn-related Web sites.
Google search market in China
- China apparently has the largest population of Internet users – at about 298 million.
- Google has about 30 % of the search market there, but has struggled to expand.
- The company launched Google.cn with a Chinese partner after seeing its market share decline tremendously as government filters slowed access to Google.
Share your comments on what you think.