Flickr is a great website. It is one of my favorite websites along with YouTube, specially when I want to pass some time on the internet. Almost everyone who is actively storing and looking up photographs online will be using Flickr if not at least would have tried a few times.
Google has Picassa web albums but nothing really comes close to beating Flickr.
Recently Flickr announced that the 5 billionth photo was uploaded on to their website.
You can view this image on Flickr here.
Some Interesting Trivia on Flickr
- Flickr was born out of FlickrLive. It was basically for live sharing of images on multi-user chat rooms way back in 2004.
- Flickr was bought over by Yahoo in 2005 leading to rumors that Flickr might be renamed as Yahoo Photos which already existed. Flickr was a better product and instead of it being assimilated into Yahoo Photos, Yahoo Photos was discontinued in 2007.
- Flickr is widely regarded as the only big successful service which Yahoo can boast about.
- Flickr is widely used by professional photographers and people photographs taken even in the US President’s White House are released on Flickr without copyright.
- Over 3000 images are uploaded on Flickr every minute.
A while ago I remember writing about YouTube completing 5 years. I think Flickr and YouTube are probably changing the way the web would be used 10 years from now.
What are your views on this? Do drop in your comments.