As now the speculation is over the new iPhone 3G is now called iPhone 3G S , S stands for Speed (i know its not apple brilliant but it’s better than n73 n87 8300 and list goes on) . The most talked / speculated feature like matt back and glowing apple sigh on the back turns out to be untrue. The dimensions are more or less remaining same.
Apple claim’s almost twice speed in web page and application loading. Well real life performance has yet to be checked but as per the word in space is that processor and ram has been bumped up. Here are the key differences compared with iPhone 3G (2008 Edition).
- Almost twice in web page and application loading
- Three band UMTS/HSDPA.
- Four band GSM/EDGE.
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g.
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
This is one of the strong points of the iPhone 3GS, according to Apple. They increased the resolution to 3 megapixels, which—judging from the shots they showed-seems much better quality under all conditions.
- 3 Megapixels sensor.
- New camera, with auto focus, auto exposure, and auto white balance.
- You can also tap to focus, changing white balance in the process. That is really neat, if you ask me.
- Special macro and low light modes.
- The camera also supports photo and video geotagging.
- Any application can access all the camera functions now.
- It supports video, 30 frames per second VGA with auto focus, auto white balance, and auto exposure.
- You can trim the video shot just using your finger, then share it via MMS, email, MobileMe and YouTube.
- The new iPhone 3GS includes new 3D graphics support in hardware. This means faster and more complicated 3D games.
- Same 3.5-inch widescreen multitouch display, but this time it has a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating. I wonder if it will withstand a full frontal cheese pizza attack.
New special features
- It has a magnetometer, which works with a Compass application, third parties, and it is integrated into the new Google maps app, showing your orientation with a small semitransparent cone.
- Voice control. You can now talk with your iPhone, Enterprise-style. You can instruct it to play similar songs to the one you are playing, or call people.
- Nike + support built in.
- Supports accessibility features, like zooming on text, inverting video, and voice over when you touch whatever text is on screen.
- One of the more important new features is the increased battery life.
- According to Apple, you will get up to 12 hours of talk time on 2G and 5 on 3G, with a up to 300 hour standby time.
- On 3G, it will deliver 5 hours of internet use.
- On Wi-Fi, Internet goes up to 9 hours.
- Video playback is 10 hours vs 30 hours for audio.
(Image credits: Apple)
[Editor’s Note: This article is submitted by Shyam Mudliar.