Yahoo Messenger and its ‘Chat Rooms’, told us how to chat and make new friends online years before the launch of Facebook. But it also gave birth to online spamming which infected thousands of users and their privacy. Though most of the people stopped using Yahoo Chat Rooms now but spammers are still there. And if you’re still using Yahoo Chat Rooms then here are few steps which will tell you how you can keep yourself protected from spammers and hackers.
To keep yourself protected it is necessary to keep your PC protected first, check out few points below:
- Before logging into a Yahoo chat room make sure that you have a good and updated Anti-Virus installed on your PC. You can also download a freeware if you don’t want to spend on a new, full version anti-virus.
- Avoid using your real name, location or any other personal data in your account. Even if you’re using it make sure that it’s not visible to everyone else.
- Never click on any link sent by other users. These links are generally in the format ‘Click here to see me http://….’. For your information these kinds of links are not sent by a beautiful girl, rather these are just automatically generated messages by a robot.
- Never accept a webcam request, spammers send these request to create a direct IP address path so that they can transfer Virus or Malware to your PC or access your PC’s data.
- Never share your data like phone number, location, and family or bank account details to anonymous users in IM. Also don’t ever go and meet someone you don’t know personally. Never trust anyone after chatting for just few hours
- Don’t let minors use Yahoo or any other messenger services. Keep it blocked on your PC so that they can’t access it when you are not there.
Don’t forget to share it with your friends to keep them protected too.
Thanks for your valuable suggestions. I was not aware of many of the tips suggested in your article
Your Welcome 🙂