In past we have written about various hacks to download videos from YouTube, Metacafe and other video sharing sites. After receiving good response to all of them, I have decided to compile a complete list of alternatives for every possible ways and here is the outcome.
We have tested more than 60 alternatives. To limit our testing efforts, we eliminated all candidates who offers trial/paid service or forces to register user. Next of course ease of use and support for multiple video sharing site has been considered. Enough chit-chat, enjoy the list…
The list is organized across different categories like web based, desktop version , etc.
1. KeepVid – It supports almost all popular sites like YouTube, Metacafe, etc. Have bookmarklet option to download videos in one-click. You have to rename downloaded file to add .flv extension. You can use VLC media player to play flv files. Read More…
2. Flashload – Replica of Keepvid, but also available in Deutsche language. Supports 50 video sites. Maintains list of last 20 videos downloaded on homepage.
3. videodownloadx – Same like keepvid but have option to convert video online into 12 different formats. They ask for email address in conversion option. In case you have concern about it try next..
4. vixy.net – Supports less number of site than keepvid and less number of conversion formats than videodownloadx but simplest to use. Also they don’t ask for your email address. Read More…
5. Media Converter – Supports many video sites. Conversion options gives nice compression ratio. It have too many options and wizards. Good for advance users, bad if your looking for quickie. Converter is also available for download as windows only version.
6. Zamzar – It also feature reach like Media Convertor but instead of giving their convertor away they offers online tool where you can upload existing flv videos for conversion. Good for Linux & Mac users as they don’t have desktop software to do the same.
7. kcoolonline – List of 211 video site they supports is eye-catcher. They do have a convertor but no bookmarklet option.
8. TubeG – Supports search and download from YouTube. Flagged video is available for download. Have bookmarklet as well as many interesting section to browse.
9. ilikeyoutube – Ability to search and download videos using top tags. As name suggest its only for YouTube.
10. YouTubia – YouTube only. Offers keyword based as well as user name based search option.
There are literally hundred of sites providing similar services, thanks to cost-effective web hosts like Dreamhost. Still if we missed any deserving site please let us know.
11. Video Download Helper – It is second most popular firefox addon with 234,815+ downloads. It supports adult sites. They also have dedicated tutorial section which is curtsey users of this addon only. Do I need to say more about it?
12. Video Ook – Supports less number of site but better customization options. Most important feature – file renaming after video title. Yep, all you tube video get downloaded with file name get_video so this extension is
13. GreaseMonkey Script – Those who love to do it GreaseMonkey way can use this script. Its for YouTube only. It adds a direct download link on all YouTube pages as shown in image. (New To GreaseMonkey?)
Extra Links: Download Firefox | GreaseMonkey
14. ByWiFi – You can search, watch & download video from YouTube & Metacafe. Registration is optional but useful to track you usage history across site. It will be great if they add support for more video site. Read More..
Unfortunate I do not have more options for mobile users this time. But I will surely add in future. If you have one, please share it via comments.
15. Orbit Downloader – Integrates nicely with many video sharing sites. Just hover the mouse on video and a "Grab It" button will pop up immediately! Available in 30+ languages.
16. Vdownloader – It can download and convert videos from many video sharing sites, saving them in AVI or MPG format. Supports few adult sites too!
17. KeepV – It also supports download as well as conversion. Conversion to MP4 format may catch iPod users. You need to manually copy-paste video URLs – Bad integration! Requires Microsoft .NET Framework.
18. Youtube Grabber – Very lightweight, but works for YouTube only as its name suggests!
For windows we got many softwares but most of them were paid. I don’t see any reason to pay for things when there are better alternative in freewares.
19. Youtube-dl – This is a shell script. After installing you can use command like youtube-dl URL to download and play video automatically. Videos played using VLC player.
Again I failed to get any complete software for Linux. So personally I will go for web-based or firefox alternatives. Still if you are addicted to shell you can try the script above.
Mac OS Users
20. GetTube – Only option I found for Mac OS. Only youtube is supported as you might have guessed it. Good thing supports conversion to MP4, MOV and AVI formats.
Additionally script mentioned for Linux users can be used from terminal.
21. Youtube Rippin – Finally if you are a coder and this large list impressed you, you can think of starting a site using this PHP script. Moreover if you have a PHP interpreter on your system, you can run this locally. Details are here…
Thats it! here we reach the end of this is a long list. I tried to cover all possible options but to err is human and if you think any deserving candidate is missing from list, feel free to comment!
I personally used KeepVid bookmarklet for long time, but now on will have greasemonkey script to do the job for youtube. I also use Video Download Helper. What’s your favorites?
Another Top Collection: 5 Best Torrent Search Engines