Google is certainly a phenomenon like no other when it comes to the internet. But with ‘Google Wave’ they plan to release a tsunami across the world and take it over in one big wave.
What is Google Wave?
- Wave is a personal communication and collaboration tool announced by Google. It will integrate wiki, blogging and email in a seamless way. It is based on HTML5.
- It is being classified as a Web Application and Protocol and plans to allow it to be tested by over a 100,000 developers in a sandbox version for feedback in October 2009.
- Google Wave will be open-source and this is being done as Google wants ‘Wave Protocol’ to replace Email protocol in the future!
- 3rd party developers will be able to use Wave and customize the APIs they will need for their websites.
How will Google Wave work?
Email and chat communication at present works by allowing 2 users to exchange information directly using email ids.
For example I am chatting with a friend and after 20 minutes a common friend is online and I add the 3rd person to the chat. The 3rd person cannot access any of the correspondence in the first 20 minutes when he was not part of the conference.
Email communication today…
Now with Google Wave if I am chatting with my friend and add a 3rd person to the conversation, not only will the 3rd person know what we had conversed before he will also automatically have access to any files exchanges over as attachments.
This is done by using Wave Server which updates and stores information of every communication and allows the sharing of this communication in its entirety at any point of time !
Email Communication with Google Wave
What would be most impacted with Google Wave?
- For obvious reasons the way we use Email will change drastically.
- Blogging will change dramatically. With a combination of wiki and blogger Google Wave will allow you to edit and alter your blogs online from your email in real time.
- The way we chat online. No more looking at the screen which reads “XYZ is typing”. Every single character which is being typed will be transmitted in real time.
I had once mentioned in a post that Google will make geeks look cool with their new search engine which still in beta. Now I think Google will replace the word ‘cool’ with ‘geek’.