I don’t bet the fact, but almost everyone might have heard about the tiny word “RTI” or Right to Information, in expanded form. RTI is basically an Act in the Constitution of India which came into effect in the year 2005 and henceforth really effective in fighting cases of corruption in the Administration and the public sector.
Right to Information Act allows any Citizen of India to get the information related to expenditure, planning or any other public welfare schemes (though exceptions are always there 🙂 ). The cost to file a request under the RTI Act, 2005 is very little however it varies in different states of the Union of India. With the Government planning to promote knowledge among the citizens to use their rights to get information, it has allocated a pretty good budget for RTI education and of course it is using Internet in the process.
Image Credit: Official Website
Who is involved?
The course I am talking about here is launched by the Department of Personnel & Training which comes directly under the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions in the Central Government. Centre for Good Governance, Hyderabad is associated with the course implementation & certification.
Can I do this course?
You can get enrolled to this course if you are any of the following:
- A Student
- An Indian national
- A Government officer
- A Public Information Officer [for RTI implementation]
- Authorities who handles RTI appeals
- A Media worker
Facts about the Course
- The total course duration is of 15 days.
- The first 12 days you get access to all the course material including the Discussion forum where you discuss any queries and post suggestions. I have seen the admin replying to queries pretty quickly 🙂
- The course registration is available only on First-cum-first-served basis. You must keep a watch to know if the Registration are now open or not. Presently the 32nd batch is going on with about 469 candidates registered.
- The Exam is conducted online and don’t think you can cheat :p There will be a total of two ‘case-studies’ having 2 questions each. Each question is worth 25 marks and you must secure a minimum of 50% to qualify the course.
Why should I do it?
- To increase your knowledge on this Act which is one of the best laws ever enacted in the Indian history. ‘YOU’ never know when it helps you.
- If you have never participated in any RTI camp or knowledge seminar.
- If you think you are a responsible citizen of India and respect the Indian Constitution.
- And last but not the least, you get a Certificate (PDF format) directly from the Government of India indicating your Grade and Performance.
You can see a copy of the certificate I received after I completed the course:
Image Credit: Hover here
I have been always interested in bringing Government & Citizens closer and that’s why I focus on Socio-IT related topics. Please do comment on whether you like the way I write, do I need to change or if you are interested in something else! Afterall, a Writer without a Reader is like a Speaker without a listener…
LINK: RTI Online Course