I have been using Ubuntu for few years and was searching for a feature-rich download manager for years. Recently, I came across the best platform independent, all-in-one open source download manager named JDownloader which has attractive features, which substitutes the popular Internet Download (Manager for Windows) in most of it’s features.
- Platform independent. (Windows, Linux, Mac, ..)
- Runs on Java 1.5 or higher
- Completely Open-Source (GPL)
- 24-hour support
- Download several files parellel
- Download with multiple connections
- JD has an own powerful OCR module (JAntiCaptcha)
- Decrypt RSDF, CCF and DLC Containerfiles
- Decryptplugins for many services. e.g. sj.org, UCMS, WordPress, RLSLog….
- Youtube, Vimeo, clipfish video and Mp3 Download
- Automatic extractor (including password list search) (Rar archives)
- Theme Support
- About 110 hoster and over 300 decrypt plug-ins
- Reconnect with JDLiveHeaderScripts: (1400 router supported)
- Integrated package manager for additional modules (eg. Webinterface, Shutdown)
Installing JDownloaded is pretty simple.
- Go to http://jdownloader.org/download/index
- click Linux and you can choose either of the two options
- Direct bundle via popular servers
- Using shell script
Please follow the steps for direct bundle.
Method 1 : Download the file; unzip it and you can start using it as shown in the screenshot below
Method 2: Download the script and make it executable by the following ways
- Right click “jd.sh” -> Properties -> Permissions (tab) -> check “Allow executing file as program” -> Ok
- double click on jd.sh -> Run in Terminal — will download all necessary files and you are done with installation.
For beginners, the former method is pretty simple.
NOTE : JDownloader requires Java Runtime Enviroment (jre/jdk) 1.5 or higher. If possible, you should use the latest Java version.
Please share your views on this downloader let me know if there are any other alternative downloaders which you use.