Putting social icons on your page can be a better way of promoting or getting connected to your friends and mentors. You would have observed several kind of social buttons/icons or different advanced functionality on many fan pages.well this is how you can-
Static FBML (Facebook Markup Language) is a Facebook platform application developed by Facebook engineers to enable fan page administrators to add such advance functionalities like extra tabs. A box is added to your page in which you can put the HTML/CSS code to display such images(icons) or you can add a new tag and information related to it.
Adding static FBML to your Facebook page:
- Click edit on the page: Go to the left sidebar on your Facebook account home page. Click on the Ads and Pages link. Select Edit on your page.
- Static FBML: Scroll down you will find Static FBML click it. If you dont find it you may have to browse further and you will get it.
- Go to Static FBML apllication .
- Click add to my page: In the left column you will see the option as add on my page. Click it.
- If you have more than one page a pop up will appear asking on which page do you want to add the Static FBML. Select the desired page.
- Success !! 🙂
Now you can add a tag ‘join’ or any other tag. I am saying ‘join’ every time just to give you an example.
- Go to your page. Click Edit option ( as shown in first screenshot).
- You will find a series of options. Search for FBML.
- Once you find it click on the edit option. A box will appear.
- Edit the name by ‘FBML‘ to ‘join’.
- On the box below you can add any text you wish the user to see when he/she arrives at your fan page.
- Save the changes 🙂
Instead of ‘join’ you can keep the FBML name as it is. And inside the other(description) box add the HTML/CSS code for the desired icon. You can place the icon on navigation bar, side bar or any place you wish to.
Static FBML has a great usability and edit options. I tried several options like what your users should see when they enter the fan page and I find it really interesting tweaking its other options 🙂