How many time you wished you could have nice file copying feature in your windows! Following is short list of problems I feel windows built-in copy feature suffers from:
- Multiple copy starts same time, resulting in higher defragmentation (or you have to wait till first completes, before starting next)
- No priority control so no matter how important is copy operation to you, other programs will suffer performance loss
- In case source and destination folder have same name windows return error no matter the folders have different content
- No special provision for bulk data transfer (No auto shutdown after batch-copying, etc)
- If window restarts between copy operation, all the progress just get lost without any recovery!
- No logging at all so chances are more after some time you may loose track of what have you copied , where you have copied and so on!
- No buffer management which can result in performance variations for devices with different speed
- No pause/resume of a copy operation
- N0 disk space check. (Ideally a copy operation should check it before hand whether destination have enough disk space to continue with copying)
- Gush… The list is endless… I am tired now 🙁
But as someone said if there is a wish, there is a way and like most of the windows problem this one have third-party but open-source solution!
Eureka, its copy-handler! Its freely available for download with manuals, FAQs, installtion guide, screenshots, etc! I tested it for more than a year now and I just cant think of using windiows without it! It solves all problem listed above with additional features like…
- Auto-start with windows (optional)
- Overriding default windows copy-operation (optional)
- Changing target after copy operation is started
- Allocate custom buffer size for different devices
- Can shutdown when copy finishes
- Ask to resume/restart remaining operation after accidental reboots!
- Can provide default actions for things like delete source file if already exist and so on..
- There are more…
I am using tons of third-party software on my windows machine! Starting from today I will write about those I liked and tested over the years! Hope you will enjoy this and find it useful 🙂