Many times we do not have a Anti-Virus installed on our computer. Some times such Anti-Virus applications give false alarms about a certain file or script. Sometimes we suspect that there is nothing wrong with a particular file and that the Anti-Virus software is raising a false alarm.
Most times in such cases it is better to scan your computer for viruses, trojans and malware scripts. Online websites which scan for viruses are great mainly because there is no need to keep updating the anti-virus database as its done by the website offering this service. 😉
Below are 4 websites which will allow you to scan files your computer for trouble and that too for free.
- This website allowed me to scan a particular file for a virus by scanning it with 24 Anti-virus programs which includes AVG, TrendMicro, Panda, Kaspersky, Vipre scanned form the website directly.
- The only limitation is that the file size of NoVirusThanks is 20 MB.
- Pretty much like NoVirusThanks I could simply upload any file from my computer and scan it online with VirusChief portal.
- It uses multiple anti-virus scanners for scanning a file like AVG, AntiVir, Avast, Bit Defender and others.
- VirusChief also requires no registering to scan a file and it a free service.
- No registration required for using Dr.Web file scanner for viruses.
- It is very useful for scanning a file for Mac or Linux users who are sending certain types of files to Windows users which might be defined as malware or suspicious.
- ActiveScan 2.0 is powered by Panda Cloud Anti Virus. It allows you to scan your computer for viruses, trojans and malwares.
- It can also carry out a quick scan of essential files on your computer.
- It scans for more than 2.7 million viruses and trojans.
- Active Scan can also be integrated on a website with a API being available for developers.
These 4 websites should be able to look up and diagnose a corrupt file on your computer. But it is not really a replacement or alternative for anti-virus applications installed locally on the system. Read up 3 free anti virus programs for Windows for getting options of having a Antivirus software locally.
These websites can more or less be used for diagnostic purposes but not for defending yourself from having infected files.
If you know any more alternatives do share with us through your comments.